Thursday, May 31, 2012

Wrap it up May

I started an experiment on May 1st. It was pretty simple really, much easier than the chem lab that nearly killed me in uni. All I did was write down something good that happened each day. The purpose was so that I could remember all the goodness that I don't write down and thus forget, and to also see if my attitude changed at all in the course of a month of focusing on the positive.

It was a lot easier for me to be negative at home. I have a few theories on that, but those are theories and shall remain with me. However, one would think that being in a strange place away from family and friends and Chik-fil-a would turn me into a sour person, constantly comparing the US to Korea, always focusing on when Korea let me down, and how different (awful) everything was. That hasn't been the case. I'm pretty positive. Most of the time. More so than a lot of expats I've met over here. Which is surprising because life is already hard here, I mean they don't have Chik-fil-a for God's sake, but why make it harder on yourself by being negative. It drives me insane.

The results were good, amazing actually. Some days I struggled to find something worthy of making the list and others I struggled to write down just one (so I didn't). It dragged May out a bit, but I enjoyed my little experiment. Good to be reminded of all that I've done and experienced. So here you go, another list.

May:
1- Had a surprise day off. Yay Worker's Day!
2- Finished a difficult assignment.
3- Lotte Mart opened in Naju.
4- Bought a bicycle.
5- Went to a birthday party where there were probably 10 countries and nationalities represented. Love multiculturalism!
6- Was beautifully reminded of God's grace and love for me when I fall short.
7- Got organized in my classroom. Felt very teachery. Also, fixed my washing machine.
8- A student told me my Korean was good.  아 싸 !
9- Found a new song. Downloaded it. Listened to it on repeat.
10- Great morning class with lots of laughter, and had an amazing bike ride.
11- Indian meal with honest and hilarious conversation with honest and hilarious friends.
12- Explored a new part of Naju (it had one?) with Aimee.
13- Coffee with Brown Eyes.
14- Found out nephew's name!
15- Got a cake for Teacher's Day.
16- Discovered a cool new blog.
17- Sister got a job!
18- Reaffirmation in a friendship.
19-Spent the most wonderful day at the park where I was exceedingly thankful for lanterns, ice cream, and friends.
20-Sports day at church. Found out I suck at jump rope, but can turn it like no other.
21- Got some major cleaning done, and felt super accomplished afterwards. Seriously guys, it was gross.
22- Finalized plans for Buddha's birthday weekend (rare three day weekend).
23- Fantastic taxi ride with guy who spoke English. He took requests for kpop songs, and was super impressed when I named about twelve for him to choose from.
24- Talked on the phone with a friend for about an hour about absolutely nothing of importance. I hadn't done that in forever, and it made me feel all girly and collegey.
25- Stayed at the most amazing hotel in Busan. First time I had experienced a waterfall shower.
26- Received the best haircut. Ever. By a hot Korean man. Period. Done.
27- First day on the beach since last August. Stayed for six hours, and got a pretty good little tan. Also, met a guy from Georgia in a New Zealand bar. My accent was super thick that night, and it really made me miss southern men who say love, sweetie, honey.
28- Buddha's Birthday=day off!
29- Found the Seoul Subway song and it reminded me of my sister's visit here. Good times.
30- Started planning my summer trip to Thailand. Wish I had more money
31- Thailand was too expensive, sooooo I bought plane tickets to Malaysia instead. Ahhhhh...the white sand beach, the palm trees, the coconuts...

May, you rocked. Thanks for wrapping it up so nicely. On to June. May you treat me oh so kindly.

And for your viewing pleasure:





2 comments:

  1. I am totally #24! :)

    Love you bunches! Thanks for the call today...I needed it!

    ReplyDelete