Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What the Wednesday: Konglish Edition

This week's "What the..." Wednesday is part one of a series I am beginning especially for WTW called, "Konglish". Now Konglish is obviously a mix between Korean and English. (Did I really need to explain that?) It happens everywhere in Korea and causes native English speakers to stop, read, and laugh. It happens in/on apparel, Kdramas, Kpop, shampoo bottles, stuff posing as ketchup...you get the gist. So for the introduction to Konglish I bring you a grocery bag from my local store. Simple enough right?

Just a normal bag the fantastically wonderful baker woman put my bread in.

But upon closer inspection...

Konglish at it's best.

Now, the baker woman at my grocery store truly is awesome and always smiles when she sees me, waves hello, even if I don't buy anything from her. And if you overlook the mistakes, it's really a sweet little message; kind of makes your heart go "ahhh, I am cared about!"




3 comments:

  1. I totally read the bag in an Asian-ish accent, similar to my chicken-friiie'-rice from the Winston Salem ordering fiasco! PS I love you and I miss you and I was thinking about Skyping you on my way to work this morning, which would have been 8:30 pm your time, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least she remembered to write the correct "you're." That's more than you can say for most Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite that accent cousin. The "k" and "g" are represented by the same letter here so that mistake is easily overlooked. When you read it, you'll get a small idea of how they speak English. It's kind of cool.

    Chris you are so right, and I noticed it immediately. Love that you did to.

    ReplyDelete