Monday, July 2, 2012

Side Effects of Living in a Foreign Land

Just last week I wrote about how people change especially in the context of expat-living. I've had a few people inquire (or meekly ask) as to what kind of changes I see the most. Thus, another list. You guys know I love lists. I mean, come-on, who the hell doesn't? This list is catered to Korea, but you could have the same side effects in other countries. Just ignore number 2 then. 

Top Ten Side Effects of Living in a Foreign Land:

1. You lose the ability to speak in your native tongue. I used to have an extensive vocabulary. I fooled many a people into thinking I was smarter than I really was (muahaha) by using my vast lyrical knowledge. It's all gone. Gone. Vanished. I stand in front of my friends, or stare at my relatives on the computer screen with their little faces in the Skype window, open my mouth, and mush falls out. I've turned into some blubbering, blundering fool. I search and search for the word, "Yeah, she was...um...um. God, what is it? What am I trying to say? It's right on the tip of my tongue. SAD! That's it! Sad. She was sad." Sad indeed.

2. You can identify nearly every kpop song/ kdrama actor on the radio/television. 

3. According to Korean drivers' law, nobody is cutting people off while driving in America. You might also cheer your taxi driver through yellow lights.

4. You tend to complain less. Yes, sweat might be seeping out of every pore because "we have to save energy" and the air-con can't be turned on, but whatever you say isn't nearly as bad as what you probably said back home or as frequent. Things are different here. Come in with that mindset or go home.

5. You call air conditioning air-con.

6. You start to see the value in owning a kindle (the horror!), renting movies from iTunes, and finding a book in English sets your heart to racing.

7. Your iPod becomes your baby. You know exactly where it is all times, if it needs to be fed, and it goes everywhere with you. EVERYWHERE.

8. Your taste in guys/gals change and evolve. I never looked at Korean men before (due to a lack of them in NC), but I'll be damned if these Korean men don't turn my head now. Wowzah. 

9. You start substituting everyday language with the new language you're immersed in. It happens all the time, especially when I talk with people back home. I go into automatic mode and respond in Korean only to be met with looks of distress and confusion. 미안해 

10. That "I'm a planner, and things need to be worked out before I travel" side of you is chucked out the window. Gone. Good-bye. Things go wrong and you roll with it. If you're not easy going, you won't last long. My friends back home know this to be big for me. Everything. Must. Be. Planned. Yeah...about that, not anymore. 



No comments:

Post a Comment