Monday, April 16, 2012

Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore.

Winter, you are a fickle friend. That crisp clean air. That downy softness that falls on my nose and eyelashes. That hot cup of coffee that sits so warm in my tummy.

I was sick of it all.  No. Not sick. I LOATHED every bit of it at the end. That crisp, clean, frigid, arctic, gale that turned that downy softness to icicles on my nose, eyelashes, cheeks, lips, hair, etc. I wanted it gone. If I had to lay on my ondol heated floor, wrapped in a blanket, mumbling to myself, one more night, then I knew I would go insane.
What do you mean if I haven't already?

As one might tell from previous posts, Korea and I have hit a bit of a rough patch. She's been trying to make up for it by offering me samgyupsal, delicious looking fellows, and a wonderful birthday. But still, I wasn't satisfied. Until she gave me Spring. Oh the glory of it all. It is an absolute wonder how weather can affect one's...well...everything. I was lazy, grumpy, hungry, not hungry, sleepy, tired, depressed. It was ridiculous. Then, one morning, I threw open the door to find a warm breeze and a brush of green on the ground. It was all I could do to not get on my knees and inspect the grass just to see if it was real, and then burst into tears of joy when I found that it was indeed real.

Today a fellow Naju-er and I went on a morning hike. The mountain has been freakin' beckoning me for the past week, what with her entire side bursting with white, green, and purple. These cherry blossoms, I'm telling you, it makes every cultural difference worth it. I can forget every too-long-stare, every spit, when I see these beauties line every street and corner. Everywhere you look is a sea of white and pink. The petals fall like velvet snow in the light warm breeze. And just when you think you can hear that breeze, you realize that's the roaring hum of thousands of  bees in those cherry blossoms. Good God run.

So Korea offered up a peace offering. As if she said, "Hey, look, I know I've been kinda hard to deal with lately and I'm sorry. You and I, well, we're a great fit and I want you to love me the way you used to. So, here, these are for you." Actually, that was the Lord. So now, I along with the rest of Korea, can cast aside my heavy winter coats and scarves that create a warm winter defense system, and don shorts, dresses, and sandals. AND it's okay that I don't have a tan. Remember that's not cool in Korea.




Oh you wanted pictures? Sorry. Here.


















Well done Korea. Well done.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Spring is so beautiful in Korea! Love hearing about your life there. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, it really is beautiful in spring!!!!!!
    Damn Korea, looking good!!!

    I hope you wore your hikers on that tough mountain trek!!

    ReplyDelete