Sunday, February 19, 2012

ROK vs USA

ROK vs USA Round 1: Lotte Mart/Emart/HomePlus vs Wal-Mart

Like any good American I used to have a thing for Wal-Mart; thing as in stuff is cheap and back when I should have been on food stamps, Wal-Mart was where I bought the eggs. Then I became a bit more conscious to their less than favorable morals and work ethics and tried to limit myself from going there. I mean I really didn't care to support a company where women could never be promoted and when a store came into town it shut down all the little mom and pop places that NC is so famous for. ANYWAY, most of Americans lovehatelikeloathecantlivewithout Wal-Mart so I use this as an example. But oh Wal-Mart, how you would lose in Korea. Not when there is Lotte Mart or E Mart or HomePlus. No no my little smiley face friend, you could not thrive and jive as you do in my beloved home. Folks, I bring you...Lotte Mart.




Lotte Mart has me salivating where as Wal-Mart makes me want to cringe. This beloved store is one of three major stores in Korea and it just happens to be my favorite. 
Sure Wal-Mart you've got a McDonalds/Subway, a wee little bank, a nail salon, and an eye doctor all right there in the front of the store, but Lotte (hold onto your pants people) has a pet store, a spa (massages/Dr. Fish/nails/mud masks), a restaurant or three, lockers to store your things, mini versions of your favorite cosmetic stores, and to top it all off their customer service is the shiz. I mean really. There is no denying it. 
Wal-Mart has those adorable elderly people there ready to welcome you so it's hard to say this because I, well, love old people...but Lotte Mart has men in suits bowing to you when you walk in. Lotte=win
There are at least two employees in each section, whether it be bedding, outdoor gear, school supplies, grocery, cleaning supplies, appliances, qtips, or shoes, at all times. They greet you then watch you the entire time you're in their area waiting to pounce if you get a quizzical look on your face. 

One of the greatest fears in America is the WM parking lot around Christmas. Cars screeching down rows, mothers screaming, running after their children. It is HORRIFIC. Not so at Lotte. There is no parking lot. No no my dear ones. There's a multi level parking deck on top of the store. As you know Korea is a peninsula (did you know that?) so they build up instead of out here. Genius. Instead of miles and miles of parking lots, they just add parking to the top or bottom of the store. 

Oh no! Did you have to drive to the top level of the parking deck? No worries, just hop on the escalator. Yep, ride that bad boy all the way to level 1. 

Once you're in and you want to go to a different level then just ride a different set of escalators that are cart friendly and within the cash registers. FOR MY WHOLE FOODIES: like all stores here they charge you for the use of their bags. Therefore, bring your own and save 100W or so. You know how WM bags one item per bag. Not done here. You bag it yourself and as a former cash register girl, I have no complaints about this. Neither do the Koreans. Bag your own stuff people.

yay Lotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment