Monday, January 16, 2012

Beauty In Korea

* Dear Intrigued Readers* This entry would be better suited for a What the Wednesday post, but I have something else in mind that needs a bit of an explanation so, here you go.

I didn't learn how to put on make-up until I was 18. My beauty ritual consisted of taking a shower and blowdrying my hair. My mother hardly ever wore make-up and she never pushed my sister or I to become "girly" or wear dresses and make-up (a fact that I am still very thankful for). Thus my teenage years were left uncluttered from the thoughts and stress of beauty rituals and my meager bank account sang the hallelujah chorus every year CoverGirl went undiscovered. Kamsahamnida Omma! However, during my senior year I fell into the world of eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss. Even so, through the years I could still fit all of my cosmetics inside a travel-sized bag. I always judged the girls who had too much make-up or ridiculous items like heated eyelash curlers and bookmarked make-up blogs.

But here, in Korea, the likelihood of a childhood like mine is almost non-existent. Koreans are quite obsessed with beauty. I have to admit, I've jumped on the beauty train and bought more make-up in the past 4 months than the past three years combined. Perhaps I'm falling to the pressure. Perhaps Korean make-up is so awesome. Perhaps it's because of all the services (free stuff) I get when I buy make-up. You will never know the truth. Ok so if you look at the last picture...
My entire make-up collection pre-Korea.

Make-up collection as of last night.
Servicesuh!!


In America, we pride ourselves on being different, diverse, and expressing ourselves through our outward appearances. Not so much here. Most Koreans want to have certain physical attributes that will place them in the "hottness" category. It's difficult to live somewhere in which the culture is pushing the masses to look alike or to desire a certain face shape. I'm American. I need to be different! It's how I define myself! Don't label me! I digress.

Here are some examples of what makes a Korean woman "beautiful" in their terms: skinny legs, white skin, long straight hair, small face, big eyes, double eyelids. Ummm, what? Double eyelids? That's right folks. Something I never would have thought twice or ever upon ever considered beautiful...my eyelids. Westerners have them. Most Asians do not. If you're not born with them you can get plastic surgery to rectify the situation. (Sidenote: in my research, South Korea has the worlds highest percentage, in the world, of people who have gone under the knife.) I try not to pass any judgement, but I find something wrong with an (almost) entire society who would go to such great lengths to have something so meaningless. I mean can you even imagine the pick-up lines? "Da-mn! Girl got some double eyelids! Work them girl. I like that."

Girls Generation: A popular Kpop group that are noted for their beauty. 

Eyelid thingamabob to secure the eyelid tape/glue in place so you can create the perfect double eyelid.

Eyelid glue

I was worried about living in a country so focused on outward appearance, so says a girl who always has an elastic on her wrist for when her hair gets in her way. But for me it's not so difficult. My students (mostly men ages 26-55) tell me I'm beautiful or look nice on a weekly basis. Again, why would I leave this country? Most Koreans think Westerners are beautiful, what with their blue eyes, blonde hair, and double eyelids. My blonde friends are the object of many a fantasy here. Meanwhile, us poor brunettes' have to be satisfied with only a stare instead of a stare and slightly ajar mouth.

Story for my fellow expats here in Korea. Yesterday on the subway I stood beside the reserved seating (pregnant ladies, older people) and two ahjummas smiled at me and asked me to sit next to them. After politely refusing I said ok and then a stop later, as one made her way off, she stopped to stroke my face and say beautiful over and over again. If you live in Korea, you would know that most ahjummas DO NOT behave this way. I mean I was having a good hair day and all...

Speaking of beauty, I give Hyun Bin.























Hyun Bin! How did you get down here?! Cheeky fellow...

2 comments:

  1. Both insightful and hilarious... you are a brilliant blogger. That Hyun Bin is indeed a cheeky fellow!

    ReplyDelete